Jibbserish

...Jibbs' place for all kinds of ish

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

As time goes by...

I've always wondered how people decide how much time has to pass before they can do certain things.

After I have dated him for 6 months, we can have sex.
After the second date, we can kiss.
After breaking up with a guy, I need a year before I can date someone else.
I can only get engaged to a guy after dating him for 2 years.

How are these times determined? Is there a scientific study somewhere that says that people show their true colors and are more trust worthy after 6 months?

I definitely am for waiting till you are comfortable with someone before taking certain steps, but what if after the second date with someone, you STILL don't feel like kissing them? I find it kinda hard to understand this train of thought because my life seems to be VERY allergic to time tables and formulas. When I was 10, I was sure that I'd have kids by 25...because 25 was quite ancient to me and I couldn't think of why ANYONE wouldn't be completely DONE with having kids by then. At the age I'm at now, I'm not even sure that I can handle marriage talk less of having kids.

So, my question is...how do you decide how long it's gonna take (ahead of time) to get to the next step of a relationship? Is this based on past experiences, or is it just an arbitrary number? Is it a goal or...?

[Title taken from song "As time goes by" by Frank Sinatra]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home